Sunday, October 5, 2014

Eating Better - Turkey & Sweet Potato Soup

I think I mentioned before that I've been trying to eat better, stick to a mostly whole/clean foods diet.  I enlisted in the help of a great nutritionist as well who provided me with a 7 day menu.   I started that menu on August 18.  Let's just say eating the same thing over and over again IS in fact the definition of insanity!!

Trying to switch things up a bit I was browsing Pinterest for recipes that met my requirements.  I've found a few and adapted one to my own liking today.  Turned our delicious, so I wanted to share.

Turkey & Sweet Potato Soup

Layer in this order in the crock pot (YES!!! crock pot meal..woo hoo)

1 Cup Diced Yellow Onion (I used bagged/frozen)
2 Cups Diced Sweet Potato, No Skin (I used frozen organic)
1 Container Simply Balanced Low Sodium Black Beans (it's equivalent to a can)
1 Can Diced tomatoes
1 Packet Low Sodium Chili Seasoning
1 Pound Extra Lean Ground Turkey (browned)
1.5 Cups Water

Low for 6 hours; high for 3-4 hours (if using frozen sweet potato you want to make sure it's soft)
Makes 7 - 1Cup servings

218 Calories
28g Carbs
2g Fat
27g Protein
2g Sugar

I added a pinch of 2% shredded colby jack cheese and 1/4 cup 0% Fage Greek Yogurt to mine.
I'm thinking I want to add some diced avocado tomorrow when I eat it for lunch.

**If you are not use to a low sodium diet where your seasoning does NOT come from salt based seasons this may seem a little bland to you.  You're free to use the non-low sodium alternatives and season turkey when browning**

No comments:

Post a Comment