Friday, August 8, 2014

Green Drinks

So a couple of days ago I posted my "attempt" at a green drink, it was kale, cucumber, banana, strawberries, blueberries and blackberries.  All my berries made my drink brown/purple.  So I posted on Facebook and asked friends for their favorite.  I've decided to put that collection here for everyone.

Lori's Green Drink
Kale, cucumber, celery, orange, green apple

Jacqueline's Green Drink
Water- 1 1/2-2 cups
Celery stalk- 3-4
Romain- head
Spinach- 1/2 head (large bunch) 3/4 (small bunch)
Apple - 1 cored
Pear -1 cored
Banana - 1
Lemon - 1/2
Optional:
1 bunch parsley
1 bunch cilantro (both w/stems)
Makes about 7 1/2 cups


Jennifer's Green Drink
handful or 2 of spinach, a banana, a few ice cubes and a cup of almond milk. You can add your protein powder to it too if you want. And the older the banana the better. It's sweeter

Tamara's Green Drink
 a few handfuls of spinach, kale, frozen strawberries, some frozen pineapple, 1/2 coconut water and 1/2 light lemonade (15 cals!) it gives it a tangy taste like jamba juice.

Patricia's (non green) Drink:
 Frozen blueberries, raspberries, peaches, some yogurt and almond milk.

Valerie's Green Drink (post wine drinking cure):
Green Grapes, 1/2 Green Apple, 1/2 Orange (remember to remove the outer peel otherwise it will be bitter), 1 banana, handful of kale, spinach & chard, few ice cubes (unless you use use a frozen banana), blend it up and that drink will be green. You can throw strawberries in as well and use a red apple but those two red items will make it more brown.

Karina's Green Drink that even a Dr. Pepper Lover Will Drink:
Ice
Almond Milk
Spinach
Pineapple
Parsley
Mint
Lemon
Raw Honey
best way to eat spinach ever....


Jim's Green Drink:
- Fill cup halfway with kale (spinach tastes better. Isn't as bitter)
- half of a pear
- half of a lemon (no peel, but keep white part)
- 1 small apple or half of a large apple
- cut about 2 inches off a cucumber and throw that in
- 1 or 2 strawberries (frozen preferred)
- tablespoon or so of chia seeds
- tablespoon or so of flaxseeds
- a few goji berries (if you have them. Not necessary)
- coconut water
- a few ice cubes
- If i want it sweeter, I use half a package of Stevia


Helena's Green and Purple/Brown Drinks:
Swiss chard and dandelion greens as a combo in my green shakes. I also use about a cup of fruit to 12oz of unsweetened coconut milk. Add half of an avocado, 2 big tablespoons of chia seeds and a tablespoon of unflavored veggie-based protein powder. Sometimes I'll swap the avo for 2 tablespoons of almond butter. I find if I use berries, it gives me purple/brown, if I use tropical type fruit, I get a nice vibrant green.


And some helpful tips from Nicole:
Adding a lemon cuts the "green" taste and definitely makes it easier to drink. I prefer to juice my greens rather then blend them in a smoothie because it ends up so grainy. But definitely adding citrus helps cut the grass taste. I also do apples and celery.
Don't forget to rotate your greens! Eating kale everyday is not a great idea. All greens contain micro toxins to protect them from birds-if you are eating greens from the same family everyday there's a good chance your getting enough of the toxins to affect your thyroid.

No comments:

Post a Comment