Saturday, April 11, 2015

I'm Hungry...At Least When Coming Out of Sedation

I know some people have been waiting for this update, so here it is.

On Wednesday morning Ross and I arrived for our appointment before anyone else was there (except a few nurses).  I was promptly taken back into the recovery room area and given about six different notices, disclosures, authorizations, whatever the heck else I needed to sign that morning.  I was then asked to get into the hospital gown, socks and hair cover.  Pretty look let me tell you.

After that I went with the nurse to the procedure room.  The table/bed was small, very narrow and short.  So short in fact about 8-12 inches of my legs and feet hung off the table.  She hooked me up to the blood pressure cuff, the pulse ox and an IV.  I was shivering I was so cold, so she got me another blanket.  Yeah, it was in a warmer.  Then I was strapped in.  Seriously, there was a strap across my torso and my arms were under it.  Good luck scratching an itch on your nose, not gonna happen.  I was told that the anesthesiologist would be in shortly.  Good, maybe he can scratch my nose.

Sure enough here he came, a cute, little old man, but not the kind of old that makes you think "can this guy still do his job?" but still probably in his late sixties.  He kind of looked like Jepeto from Pinocchio.  He was incredibly nice and comforting.  He talked a lot, I'm sure to help calm me down as I was back to shaking like a leaf. He told me the first thing he was going to give me was something to calm my nerves a little, so of course I said "oh like Xanax" and he laughed and replied that it was from the same classification.  He continued to talk and tell me stories and ask me questions, I'm sure he was just making sure the drug was doing its job.  After a few minutes he said, well the doctor is here so I'm going to give you the next medication and put you on oxygen.  I remember him taking my glasses off and putting the oxygen on, but after that nighty nite!

The next thing I remember the anesthesiologist was talking to me again and taking off the oxygen.  He put my glasses back on me, but holy hell, they were so blurry.  I thought I'd lost my vision somewhat.  Then he started giggling and said "whoops, those are my reading glasses" LOL, silly man.
I hear the nurses saying Heather can you help us move into the bed, I remember saying yes, but the next thing I know I'm back in recovery and telling the nurse I'm hungry and I want to see my husband.  LOL.

The nurses brought me crackers and juice and of course got Ross.  Pretty impressive that I wanted to eat as soon as I was moderately coherent.  I had to stay a little longer until the doctor came back with my instructions, but after about 15 minutes in recovery I was up, using the restroom and back into my clothes.

After we saw the doctor we were able to leave.  Total time there, just about 3 hours.

On the way home I told Ross I was hungry (again) so we stopped at Corner Bakery Cafe and he went in and got me eggs, bacon and potatoes.  YUM!  I then laid around on the couch all day, my sister came over and brought me Starbucks and made me a grilled cheese for lunch.  Then my mom came after work so that Ross could leave (this lucky guy got to go to the Masters Golf Tournament in Augusta on Friday and I wasn't going to stop him from that).  Then came my sister again with some magazines, a cake, Gatorade and dinner.  They are awesome!  My mom spent the night to make sure I was still good.  Uncomfortable, yes, but overall decent.

I know, enough about all that, what is the report.  The doctor was able to retrieve 10 eggs, 9 were viable and by Thursday afternoon 8 were embryos!  We've got 8 people!!!
My sister celebrated by bringing me this cake.


What's next, well because I'm over 35 I have opted for PGS which is preimplantation genetic screening.  We will get our report on Monday.

But, here's the disappointing news (or maybe not)...I'm going dark.  That's right, I'm going to take a break from blogging about our adventure for a while.  So, this will be the last update until I'm ready to share any new news.  No telling when our transfer will be or what that experience will be like.  Sorry folks.  I do love sharing with everyone, but we thought this was part of it that we would keep to ourselves.

Thank you for your support in our journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment