Saturday, April 4, 2015

The Life of IVF

As many of you know who have been following our journey that we intended on having a "Honeymoon Baby".  We know we're a bit older than most first time parents and with that in mind we had no qualms about starting our family right away.  Nearly two years later, still no baby.

In June 2014 we visited Huntington Reproductive Center (HRC) in Pasadena at the referral of my gynocologist (who after quite a bit of testing determined she could no longer help me).  Dr. Nelson at HRC has been nothing short of fantastic.  We've made all the decisions, he's just been there telling us our options.  So, from July - late November we did 5 rounds of Clomid +HCG Trigger shots hoping that would help us make a baby.  But, still no luck.

We knew that we were vacationing in Hawaii for New Years and didn't want the added stress of timing medications, doctor's visits, etc.  so we made the decision to take December/January off from medical treatments.

In early February after several phone calls, consultations and research we decided to embark upon IVF.

I said I would NEVER EVER EVER do IVF.  I said that if we couldn't get pregnant then we'd just adopt.  Well, things change!  I said that because I don't like needles...well, who does really?  But I mean I REALLY don't like needles.  I mean I still take my mom with me every time I have to have blood drawn, so how the hell would I make it through 11 days of giving myself injections for IVF?  The determination to not give up hope, that's how we're getting though this.

In mid-February I started the medication, thank goodness it was just oral.  Then when the time was right I'd start the injections (HELP I HATE NEEDLES)!!!!

Needless to say what feels like thousands of drugs (and dollars) later I have an arsenal of injectable medications in my home and TWO sharps containers!  Who am I?


I've experienced every other day blood draws (several of which I've gone and done on my own thank you very much) and injecting myself with what started out as two syringes of medication a night to now three!

I started with menopur in a regular syringe and follistem in what looks like a pen (twist top to the right dose, recap...pretty cool).  Then we added ganreilex just two days ago, which is another standard syringe style.

So, let me tell you how the first injections went.   We were embarking on Wedding Weekend for my lovely mini-me Kaley.  First day of injection = Friday.  Guess what else was Friday, the rehearsal dinner.  So, I packed up my medication in a cooler (yes, Menopur and Follistem have to be kept cold), syringes, alcohol wipes and sharps container and waited for my sister to pick me up for our night out.  Needless to say as I was getting in her car with my Styrofoam cooler she laughed, heck, I would have laughed too, I looked like I was bringing fresh packed fish to the party!  Could I have left the drugs at home and left the party early, yes.  But the best part of the night was going to happen later and I didn't want to miss it (my mom, the brides mom and their friend performing selections from Mama Mia and the Supremes! - I DIED!!!).  So, around 745pm my sister who agreed to give me my first injections (remember I'm a HUGE needle phobe and wimp) slipped off to the bedroom with my mom, and Sharon, my mom's friend in tow.  We prepped and I was shaking like a leaf, my sister kept telling me she'd watched the injection video's and knew what she was doing.  Finally the moment of truth.  I plopped down on the bed and put a pillow over my face.  My mom stood to my side and was distracting me with stories.  My sister prepped my skin and then I felt the pinch...here goes.  Holy fudge that thing freaking hurts...I whimper, I cry a little I tell her to stop, but then it's over.  But wait, there's still one more.  Sharon proceeds to coach her on this one, go slower when injecting the medication, but pinch the skin this way to get the needle to go in better.  I was begging them to not to do it!  It was quite the sight, someone should have caught this on tape.  But, the second one wasn't nearly as bad.

The next night my husband was going to do them.  Small snag, two of our nieces were spending the night.  So, I grew quite brave as they were upstairs showering and I said to Ross "okay, now, let's do this"  As I was laying down on the couch we heard the girls running around upstairs...times up gotta do this.  I had one in my hand looked at Ross and punched it into my stomach.  I did it, I did it myself.  I was so pleased with myself that by the time the girls got downstairs I was laughing.  So, with Ross as my coach, one niece the videographer and the other (who wants to be a nurse by the way) right next to me I plunged the second one into my stomach.  And, just like that the second day of injections were done.  We had to move on to pizza and the Kids Choice Awards you know.

The third night was just as hilarious as the previous two.  We were at the wedding I previously mentioned.  So, because I was at the venue most of the day I had Ross package up my medications in the Styrofoam cooler and bring them with him (he took Uber by the way!!)  So when it was time, my mom and I went out to my SUV, popped the back open and I hopped in and lifted my dress (hey I was wearing Spanx (the long shorts kind) and proceeded to inject myself in the parking lot!

Needless to say after those first three nights I thought I was a pro!  Then day 6 guess what, add a third shot to the mix!  The nurse warned me, the needle is more dull than the others, you'll really have to push it in.  OUCH!! HELLO!!  Are you kidding me?  However, she followed that up with ice your stomach first.  Best advice ever!


So now I am one three shots a day + 3 pills a day!  You know what else come with this, about 5 pounds of weight between your belly button and your lower lady bits!  So swollen that I'm needing to wear stretchy things like maxi skirts, dresses and workout wear.  Today however I'm rocking jeans with a freaking belly band - yep, much cheaper than buying new clothes right now.  To be honest it's not that my jeans don't fit, I can button them, but because everything inside is enlarged the pressure hurts (not to mention you can play connect the dots on my stomach between the red needle injection sites and the bluish/yellow bruises).

Soon things will be different, there will be retrieval day, more medications, transfer day, bed rest and more medications.  But...we're crossing our fingers for the family we've been dreaming of.

1 comment:

  1. Yep...stomach shots freaking HURT like hell!! I had to do shots of neupogen during chemo and they hurt worse than the chemo did!! But you are brave and you can do this!! 5 years from now you'll have these posts to look back and laugh at!
    ps. My co-worker is going through this too...I'm sharing your story with her!

    ReplyDelete